- 11/2019 – present PhD-study in Material Science (Scienze e tecnologia dei materiali), Department of Chemistry and Industrial Chemistry, University of Genoa, Italy.
- 04/2017 Habilitation in archaeology in Italy (Abilitazione Scientifico Nazionale per II Fascia, settore concorsuale 10/A1, archeologia; Bando D. D. 1532/2016)
- 06/2007 Dr. phil. in Prehistoric and Historical Archaeology, University of Vienna, Austria; passed with honours. Thesis: ‘Manufacture and Use of Austrian Bronze Age Swords – a Study of Bronze Age Weaponry and Social Structure’.
- 11/2002 Mag. phil. in Prehistoric and Historical Archaeology, University of Vienna, Austria; passed with honours. Thesis: ‘Metallographic Analyses of an early medieval Trove of a Smith´s Findings of Buschberg, Lower Austria’.
Positions (Bordeaux, Genoa, Klagenfurt, Vienna, and others)
- 11/2017 – 10/2020 Universities of Innsbruck and Krems, Austria: Postdoctoral research fellow (part-time), responsible for metal analyses for the FWF project no. P-30289 (head of the project ‘Life and Work at the Bronze Age Mine of Prigglitz’: Dr. P. Trebsche).
- 09/2017 – 10/2017 TOPOI-Exzellenzcluster, DAI, Berlin: Postdoctoral research associate (full-time), Research group D-6, Atlas of Innovation
- 07/2015 – 07/2017, Université Bordeaux Montaigne: Postdoctoral research associate (full-time) and PI of the project ‘Chemical and metallurgical aspects of arsenical bronze: the case of arsenic-loss in prehistoric metal production’, Marie Skłodowska-Curie IEF Fellowship
- 09/2014 – 06/2015, University of Genoa, Italy: Associate (part-time): metallographic analyses of bronze objects.
- 07/2011 – 06/2014, University of Vienna, Austria and University of Genoa, Italy: PI and Postdoctoral research associate (full-time): EU-funded Framework 7 Marie-Curie Action project, co-financed by the Austrian FWF ‘Development, technology and usage of Bronze Age armour’
- 10/2008 – 03/2011, Landesmuseum Kärnten, Klagenfurt, Austria: Employee (full-time; break for a 4 month ‘MOEL-Plus’ fellowship in 2010, funded by the ÖFG, Austria): Studies on local Bronze and Iron Age finds.
- 10/2007 – 06/2008, BMWFW and ÖFG, Vienna, Austria: Fellow (full time); BMWFW Austria (Forschungsstipendium Archäologie) and ÖFG, Austria (MOEL-Plus) on ‘Manufacture and Usage of Bronze Age arms and tools in the Baltic States’
- 01/2005 – 12/2006, Department of Prehistory and Historical Archaeology, University of Vienna, Austria: Fellow (full-time): Metallographic analyses of selected Bronze Age swords
- 2005 and 2007, Department of Prehistory and Historical Archaeology, University of Vienna, Austria: Teaching and student advisor (part-time)
- 01/1999 – 05/2004, Vienna Institute of Archaeological Sciences, University of Vienna, Austria: Employee (part-time): metallographic analyses of bronze objects.
- 01/1999 – 11/2003, Stadtarchäologie Wien, University of Vienna, Austria: Employee (part-time): fieldwork and artefact studies (Austria, Slovenia).
Research projects, Fellowships and Grants
During my PhD-study I started to organise, lead and carry out my own research projects funded by Austrian research institutions and the European Union. The projects included cooperation with museums, universities and research institutions in Europe and Russia. For all projects named, I was the project leader/PI. I thus have an extensive experience as a team leader in both archaeological and multidisciplinary projects. The total amount of funding I raised so far is over € 1.530,000. Projects were funded by Austrian research institutions and the European Union. I am the first Austrian archaeologist who received a ‘Schrödinger fellowship’, and achieved the highest number of FP7-funded CHARISMA projects.
- 2023 – 2025 Austrian FWF Stand-Alone project P 34960-G ‚Electrochemical Age Determination of archaeological bronzes‚ at the University of Innsbruck.
- 2022 – 2025 Marie Skłodowska-Curie IEF-Fellowship, ‘Cu-As-(Sb, Ni) systems: determination of phase diagrams’ at the University of Genoa.
- 2022 – 2024 Austrian FWF Stand-Alone project P 34477-G ‚Gates to Paradise: Creating metal doors for 11th-12th century churches‚ at the IMAREAL, University of Salzburg.
- 2015 – 2017 Marie Skłodowska-Curie IEF-Fellowship, ‘ArsenicLoss’ at the Université Bordeaux Montaigne.
- 2016 Fritz-Thyssen Foundation project ‚Caucasian Copper for the Bronze Age: Mining and Effecting‚ (project leaders: René Kunze/Marianne Mödlinger)
- 2011-2014 Schrödinger fellowship funded by the Austrian FWF and Marie-Curie-actions, FP7: studies on European Bronze Age armour.
- 01/2011 Marie-Curie-Action FP7 IEF-fellowship declined by M. Mödlinger in order to accept the ‘Schrödinger fellowship’.
- 2011 – 2013 four CHARISMA projects, funded by FP7. The projects were carried out at the CNRS-C2RMF (Paris), twice at the Budapest Neutron Centre (Budapest), and the British Museum (London): archaeological & chemical characterisation of Bronze Age armour.
- 2010 Research fellowship ‘MOEL-Plus’, (funded by Österreichische Forschungsgesellschaft): analyses and documentation of Bronze Age armour in Hungary, Croatia and Slovakia.
- 2008 Research fellowship ‘MOEL-Plus’ (funded by Österreichische Forschungsgesellschaft): documentation and analyses of Bronze Age objects in Lithuania, Latvia, Oblast Kaliningrad.
- 2007 – 2008 Research fellowship for archaeology and classical studies (funded by Bundesministerium für Wissenschaft und Forschung, Austria). Bronze Age tools and weaponry in the Baltic States.
- 2005 – 2006 Research fellowship, Vienna University: metallurgical analyses of Bronze Age swords.
Prizes and Awards
MA- and PhD-studies received the Academic Excellence award from the Vienna University three times (2000, 2003, and 2007). Also, the PhD achieved another award from the Schaumayer-foundation, Austria. I achieved further prizes and awards for my projects, including the Theodor-Körner-Prize (Arbeiterkammer Österreich) for the project on Baltic bronzes 2008/2009. The total amount of awards and prizes gained is € 8,600. I was elected among the 35 most excellent Austrian Scientists under 35 years (alphabetical list: Austrian Science Fund FWF, together with the Austrian Newspaper Der Standard, issue ‚Forschung spezial‘, May 2013).
Teaching and Supervision Activities
- 2021 – Seminars in Bronze Age archaeology and archaeometallurgy; University of Pavia, Italy
- 2015 Seminar in archaeometallurgy; University of Bordeaux Montaigne, France
- 2011 – 2015 Lectures, seminars in archaeometallurgy; University of Genoa, Italy
- 2011 – 2015 Supervision of three MA-theses in Italian in: Methodologies for the Conservation and Restoration of Cultural Heritage; University of Genoa, Italy
- 2012 Guest lecturer at the Universities of Graz, Austria, and Dijon, France
- 2010 Guest lecturer at the University of Turin, Italy
- 2007 Tutor – Bronze Age warfare; University of Vienna, Austria
- 2005 Tutor and graduate student advisor; University of Vienna, Austria
Organisation of Scientific Meetings (selected)
- 2021 Protecting archaeological heritage in the globalisation era: trends, challenges, solutions (with: A. Kairiss, E. Bernard, I. Olevska). EAA annual meeting; online.
- 2020 Modern Networks and Past Narratives: ‘Treasure Hunting’, the Art Market, Scientific Analysis, and Co-Operation for Protection of Archaeological Heritage (with: E. Godfrey, A. Kairiss, A. Traviglia), EAA annual meeting; online.
- 2019 De-colonisation at EAA 25 Years: The social-economic contribution of cultural heritage conservation (with: E. Godfrey, I. Joosten), EAA annual meeting, Bern, Switzerland
- 2019 Illegal obtaining and trade of archaeological artefacts: status quo and counteraction (with G. Caspari, M. Črešnar, A. Kairiss), EAA annual meeting, Bern, Switzerland
- 2017 Archaeology on sale: how to prevent official selling of illegally excavated objects (with M. Črešnar, M. Fernández-Götz, A. Kairiss), EAA annual meeting, Maastricht, Netherlands
- 2016 Illicit trafficking of Cultural Heritage: different strategies to fight it (with M. Črešnar, M. Fernández-Götz, M. Mele, C. Tsirogiannis, M. Van Cant), EAA annual meeting, Vilnius, Lithuania
- 2015 Recyling (with P. Bray, C. Duckworth, A. Cuenod), EAA annual meeting, Glasgow, UK
- 2015 Sellout of our past: different strategies of how to deal with illicit trafficking of European Cultural Heritage (with M. Hegewisch), EAA annual meeting, Glasgow, UK
- 2009 Workshop on Bronze Age warfare (with M. Uckelmann), Vienna, Austria
- 2009 Bronze Age weaponry (with M. Uckelmann), EAA annual meeting, Riva del Garda, Italy
Invited Presentations (selected)
- 01/ 2021 University of Frankfurt, Germany
- 03/ 2021 University of Salerno, Italy
- 03/ 2019 Norwegian Institute in Rome, Italy
- 07/ 2018 Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Germany
- 11/ 2017 Aarhus University, Aarhus, Denmark
- 10/ 2017 National Museum of Denmark, Copenhagen, Denmark
- 10/ 2017 Deutsches Archäologisches Institut (DAI), Berlin, Germany
- 05/ 2017 Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston, USA
- 02/ 2016 University of Cork, Ireland
- 01/ 2016 Landesmuseum für Vorgeschichte, Halle, Germany
- 10/ 2015 International conference on fakes and forgeries of cultural heritage, University Turin, Italy
- 04/ 2015 Glass and Metal Recycling in Archaeology and Archaeometry, University of Leicester, UK
- 12/ 2014 Plenarsitzung des Clusters 2 (Innovationen: technisch, sozial), DAI, Berlin, Germany
- 10/ 2014 (together with B. Molloy), The Historical Metallurgy Society, Salisbury, UK
- 06/ 2014 International workshop, RGK Frankfurt am Main, Germany
- 06/ 2013 University of Padua, Institute of Archaeology, Italy
- 05/ 2013 Ciclo de Conferências de Mação. Instituto Terra e Memória, Mação, Portugal
- 04/ 2013 Budapest Neutron Centre, Budapest, Hungary
Evidence of esteem
2016 – Head of the Community on the Illicit Trade of Cultural Material of the European Association of Archaeologists (EAA)
Reviewing activities (journals)
- reviews (journals):
- archaeology: Prähistorische Zeitschrift; Archaeologia Austriaca; Journal of Open Archaeology; Antenor Quaderni; Heritage Science; Fennoscandia.
- archaeometry: Journal of Archaeological and Anthropological Science; Journal of Archaeological Science; Journal of Archaeological Science: Reports; Archaeometry; Memoirs of the American Academy in Rome; Fennoscandia.
- material science: Scientific Reports: Nature; Journal of Material Characterization; Metallurgical and Materials Transactions A; X-Ray Spectrometry; JOM; Minerals.
- editor of the following journals: Authenticity Studies. International Journal of Archaeology and Art; IANSA – Interdisciplinaria Archaeologica: Natural Sciences in Archaeology
- reviews (research programmes): Programma per Giovani Ricercatori „Rita Levi Montalcini” (Italy); National Science Center (Poland); Marie Skłodowska-Curie Fellowships (European Union).
Member of scientific committees (conferences; selected)
- 2020 Member of the scientific committee. APRAB (Actualités de l’âge du Bronze): Âge du Bronze, Âge de Guerre, October 14-17, 2020, Ajaccio-Porticcio, Corsika, France
- 2015 – Commission Member of the Archaeometry Commission, International Union of the Prehistoric and Protohistoric Sciences (UISPP)
- 2015 Member of the scientific committee. ‘Archaeometallurgy in Europe IV’, Madrid, Spain
- Gesellschaft für Naturwissenschaftliche Archäologie ARCHAEOMETRIE e.V. (GNAA)
- International Union of the Prehistoric and Protohistoric Sciences (UISPP)
- Society for Archaeological Science (SAS)
- Groupe des Méthodes Pluridisciplinaires Contribuant à l’Archéologie (GMPCA)
- Society for Aegean Prehistory (Aegeus)
- Netzwerk archäologisch arbeitender Frauen e. V. (FemArc)
- Österreichische Gesellschaft für Ur- und Frühgeschichte (ÖGUF)
Field work experience
Extensive field work experience was obtained through work on various research projects in a time frame ranging from Palaeolithic cave excavations to recent cemeteries in Austria, Slovenia and France since 1999. As a result, I am competent in all aspects of running field projects and proficient in practicalities and day-to-day management of field seasons.
- Tintignac, France: La-Tène sanctuary
- Potočka Zijalka, Slovenia: Palaeolithic cave bears
- Vienna, Austria:
- Late Bronze Age cemetery, 23rd district
- Early Iron Age settlement, 23rd district
- Roman cemeteries, Albertina (1st district), and Ungargasse, (3rd district)
- Medieval mass grave (epidemic), Schottenstift, 1st district
- Medieval settlement, Robert-Stolz-Platz, 1st district
- 18-19th century A.D. cemeteries (Schubertpark, Märzpark, Währinger Park)
- Ternitz-Dunkelstein, Lower Austria: Medieval settlement
- Klosterneuburg, Lower Austria: Medieval town hall